Eggplant Rollups (Vegan)
- 1 large eggplant
- seasoning, such as Cajun Spices
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese (if not vegan, just use real cheese — it’s a lot easier) - Instructions found here
- handful basil leaves handful chive greens, finely chopped
For the tomato sauce:
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chipped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
- splash lemon juice
- dash of Tabasco or cayenne pepper
To make the tomato sauce:
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan.
- Add the onions and sauce until glassy.
- Add the garlic and further cook for 1 minute.
- Add the canned tomatoes, and the herbs.
- Add the salt and season to taste with Italian herbs.
- Turn the heat to low.
For the grilled eggplant:
- Heat a grill pan over high heat.
- Thinly slice the eggplant, a minimum.
- Season with the Cajun Seasonings.
- Grill the thin slices to tenderize the eggplant, 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Top each slice of cooked eggplant with a dollop of “cheese” and some minced chives and basil then roll up.
- The eggplant roll ups should have a few greens sticking out of both ends.
- Serve the rollups with the tomato sauce on top.
Makes four servings, 80 Calories each.