0 marine animals
0 cows and calves
0 pigeons and other birds
0 donkeys and mules
0 camels and other camelids
When I tell people I don’t eat dairy, they often ask me how I get my calcium.
This post is for them.
The list below is all the non-dairy sources of calcium. It’s a complete myth that animal products are the only way to get your calcium fix. There are also many credible books and studies that prove that dairy is harmful to the body and not helpful in obtaining calcium. I highly recommend: The Rave Diet, The China Study, Don’t Drink Your Milk (which is out of print I think, but google it), and Skinny Bitch.
Here is a list of non-dairy sources of calcium
# 2 Tbsp. blackstrap molasses– 400 mg
# 1 cup collard greens– 357mg
# 4 oz. tofu*, processed with calcium sulfate– 200-330mg
# 8 oz. calcium-fortified orange juice– 300mg
# 8 oz. soy or ricemilk*, commercial, calcium-fortified– 200-300mg
# 6 oz. commercial soy yogurt– 80-250mg
# 1 cup turnip greens, cooked– 249mg
# 4 oz. tofu*, processed with nigari– 80-230mg
# 1 cup tempeh– 215mg
# 1 cup kale, cooked– 179mg
# 1 cup soybeans, cooked– 175mg
# 1 cup okra, cooked– 172mg
# 1 cup bok choy, cooked– 158mg
# 1 cup mustard greens, cooked– 152mg
# 2 Tbsp. tahini– 128mg
# 1 cup broccoli– 94mg
# 1/4 cup almonds– 89mg
# 2 Tbsp. almond butter– 86mg
# 8 oz. soy milk*, commercial, plain– 80mg
On average it is recommended that adults take in 1000 mg of calcium daily. One 8 oz glass of milk has only 300 milagrams, and enough calories (and probably hormones) to blimp you up to look like one of the animals it came from. Not really so fabulous.
Ah thanks for posting this! So perfect!
Vegan solutions for capitalist problems.
It is estimated that in 2010 alone, L’oreal tested almost 2.5 million animals JUST in France.
Enough is enough. Put your money where your heart is.
- Many Lambs are born at abattoirs where their mothers are waiting to be slaughtered, they’re either fed until they’re healthy enough to be killed for food themselves or killed as soon as they’re born.
- Some Hens are known as Breeders, they’re the ones who produce the Laying Hens (the ones who produce eggs we eat). Breeders are mated so constantly that they become red raw.
- Free-range hens aren’t really free-range. They have space to move around, unlike battery hens but it’s no where as much room as we are made to believe.
- Male chicks are useless, they’re either gassed or ground up alive.
- Dairy cows only produce milk when they have a calf. They are artificially impregnated to produce milk every year while their babies are killed for veal.
- At the current rate of overfishing, there will be no fish left in the sea in 40 years.
- Pigs are kept isolated and constantly pregnant until their bodies give up. They are then killed for meat.
- A vegan driving a hummer produces less greenhouse gas emissions than a meat eater riding a bicycle.
- Animal proteins like milk actually leach calcium from bones creating the risk of fracture and osteoporosis. This is scientifically proven..
- Cholesterol is found ONLY in animal products (and coconut milk).
- Cow’s milk is actually the number one source of allergies in children.